How to get the 2nd year visa (subclass 417)

Several conditions are necessary to obtain the 2nd year visa. As for the first visa, you must be less than 30 years old. You must also have completed three months (or 88 days) of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa. Most people choose to find a farm job and do fruit picking.

Eligible areas

All areas in Tasmania, South Australia and Northern Territory are eligible for the 2nd visa.

For the other states and territories only certain postcodes are eligible.
 Here is the list of the none eligible postcodes

Eligible jobs

Here is a full list of industries and jobs you can work in which qualify as specified work:

Plant and animal cultivation

  • Cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
  • General maintenance crop work
  • Harvesting and/or packing fruit and vegetable crops
  • Immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery in an abattoir, packing and tanningNote: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible
  • Immediate processing of plant products
  • Maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
  • Manufacturing dairy produce from raw material
  • Pruning and trimming vines and trees.


Felling trees in a plantation or forest

  • Planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
  • Transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed.

Fishing and pearling

  • Conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
  • Conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell.
  • Tree farming and felling


  • Coal mining
  • Construction material engineering
  • Exploration
  • Metal ore mining
  • Mining support services
  • Oil and gas extraction
  • Other non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying.


  • Building completion services
  • Building installation services
  • Building structure services
  • Heavy and civil engineering construction
  • Land development and site preparation services
  • Non-residential building construction
  • Residential building construction
  • Other construction services

How to calculate the 88 days (3 months)?

Calculating the hours and days

Rules are set up by the government regarding the calculation of the 88 days but are not easy to understand:
Three months’ means three ‘calendar’ months.

One full day of work is defined as six to eight hours of work per day.
On average, the Australian working week is 30 to 40 hours.

If you are full time workers, you can include weekends in calculating the number of days. For exemple, if you work 5 days, then you are off the week-end, and you work the next week again, then you can add the 2 days off.  If you have worked less than 6h per days, then you must work more days to reach the 30 hours worked per week.
Another exemple: if you have worked 5h per days for 5 days during 2 weeks in a row: you have cumulated only 10 days.
If you have worked 6h per days for 5 days during 2 week in a row, you have cumulated 12 days.
If you have worked 6h per days for 5 days during 2 week (not in a row), you only have cumulated 10 days.
If you are paid by piece rate, then the government can check how much money you’ve made.

Full time workers can count sick days only during periods where they are in paid employment and entitled to sick leave. Supporting evidence must be provided by the employer.
If you want to know exactly how many days you have cumulated, then you can use our free calculation tool :

Visa Calculation Tool


Good to know: Applicants cannot count a long day of work as more than one day of specified work. For example, if the industry’s standard day is six hours long, working a 12 hour day does not count as two days of specified work.


How to apply for a second year visa?


You can apply from in or outside Australia.

If you apply from Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted.

If applying from outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

Evidence of specified work to provide

Even if the Australian government does not check all the records, be able to provide these documents in case of verification:

– Copies of your payslips;

– Your bank statement covering the period of declared specified work;

Other evidence may include tax returns, employer references or group certificates.

We also advise you to keep other records such as photographs, bus tickets or any evidence showing your presence in the area while working.


When to apply for a second year visa?

You may apply either while you still hold a first Working Holiday visa or at a later date.
If you want to extend your visa straight after the first one, you should apply before your first working holiday visa expires.
If you wish to come back later, you should apply before your 31th birthday. You will have one year after approval to enter Australia.

If you want to apply for the 2nd visa, you’ll have to log in into your immi account:
Apply for the 2nd visa now

Good to know: If you apply for your second year and your first visa is about to expire, you will be granted a bridging visa. You will be able to remain in Australia and to work while waiting for your second year visa.

Visa fees

A working holiday visa paid directly on the Australian Government’s website costs AU$450. (september 2018)


Processing time

Processing time can vary from an application to another. Some applications are granted within a few hours others are investigated and can take up to 2 months.

When lodging your application for a second year visa, you should upload all your supporting evidence at the same time to avoid delay in processing your application.

Providing a false or misleading declaration or fraudulent evidence for any visa application can result in the application being refused or cancelled. If the applicant’s visa is cancelled they may be prevented from lodging further applications and be excluded from Australia for a period of three years.

Information extracted from the Australian Immigration Website and  (